(Wikipedia) - Şamaxı (Redirected from Shamakhi) For the administrative district, see Shamakhi Rayon.
|Coordinates: 40°37′49″N 48°38′29″E / 40.63028°N 48.64139°E / 40.63028; 48.64139Coordinates: 40°37′49″N 48°38′29″E / 40.63028°N 48.64139°E / 40.63028; 48.64139 |
| Azerbaijan |
|6 km2 (2 sq mi) |
|709 m (2,326 ft) |
|5,300/km2 (14,000/sq mi) |
|AZT (UTC+4) |
• Summer (DST)
|AZT (UTC+5) |
|+994 176 |
Şamaxı (also, Schemacha, Shamakhy, Shamakhi and Shemakha is a city in and the capital of the Shamakhi Rayon of Azerbaijan. The city has a rich heritage and has provided the backdrop to major political events throughout much of its two millennia of existence. The city''s estimated population as of 2010 was 31,704. It is famous for its traditional dancers, the Shamakhi Dancers, and also for giving its name to the Soumak rugs.
In its history eleven major earthquakes have rocked Shamakhi, but through multiple reconstructions it maintained its role as the economic and administrative capital of Shirvan and one of the key towns on the Silk Road. The only building to have survived eight of the eleven earthquakes is the landmark Juma Mosque, built in the 10th century. Contents
HistoryShamakhi in 1734Yeddi Gumbez Mausoleum
- 1 History
- 2 Earthquakes
- 3 Popular culture
- 4 Twin cities
- 5 Notable natives
- 6 See also
- 7 Photogallery
- 8 References
- 9 Further reading
- 10 External links
Shamakhi was first mentioned as Kamachia by the ancient Greco-Roman Egyptian geographer Claudius Ptolemaeus in the 1st to 2nd century CE.
Shamakhi was an important town during the Middle Ages and served as a capital of the Shirvanshah state from the 8th to 15th centuries and the capital of the independent Shirvan Khanate, which was also known as the khanate of Shemakha. The Catholic friar, missionary and explorer William of Ruysbroeck passed through it on his return journey from the Mongol Great Khan''s court.
In 1476 Venetian diplomat Giosafat Barbaro, while describing the city, stated: “This is a good city; it has from four to five thousand houses, it produces silk, cotton as well as other things according to its tradition; it is situated in greater Armenia (Armenia grande) and the majority of its residents are Armenians.”
In 1562 Englishman Anthony Jenkinson described the city in the following terms: “This city is five days’ walk on camels from the sea, now it has fallen a lot; it is predominantly populated by Armenians…”Mausoleum of Shakhandan, brother of famous Azeri poet Nasimi. Built in 17th century.
Adam Olearius, who visited Shamakhi in 1637, wrote: "Its inhabitants are in part Armenians and Georgians, who have their particular language; they would not understand each other if they did not use Turkish, which is common to all and very familiar, not only in Shirvan, but also everywhere in Persia.". The Russians first entered Shirvan in 1723, but soon retired leaving it to Ottomans who possessed it in 1723-35. In 1742 Shamakhi was taken and destroyed by Nadir Shah of Persia, who, to punish the inhabitants for their Sunnite creed, built a new town under the same name about 26 kilometres (16 mi) to the west, at the foot of the main chain of the Caucasus Mountains. The new Shamakhi was at different times a residence of the Shirvan Khanate, but it was finally abandoned, and the old town rebuilt. In the mid-1700s, the population of Shamakhi was about 60,000, most of whom were Armenians. The Shirvan Khanate was finally annexed by Russia in 1805.
The British Penny Cyclopaedia stated in 1833 that "The bulk of the population of Shirvan consists of the Tahtar, or, to speak more correctly, Turkish race, with some admixture of Arabs and Persians. . . . Besides the Mohammedans, who form the mass of the population, there are many Armenians, some Jews, and a few Gipsies. According to the official returns of 1831, the number of males belonging to the Mohammedan population was 62.934; Armenians, 6,375; Jews, 332; total males 69,641. The prevalent language of Shirvan is what is there called Toorkee or Turkish, which is also used in Azerbijan." The same source also states that according to the official returns of 1832, the city of Shamakhi was inhabited by only 2,233 families, as a result of devastation from the sack of the city "in the most barbarous manner by the highlanders of Daghestan" in 1717. The Encyclopædia Britannica stated that in 1873 the city had 25,087 inhabitants, "of which 18680 were Tartars and Shachsevans, 5177 were Armenians, and 1230 Russians." Silk production continued to be the main output, with 130 silk-winding establishments, owned mostly by Armenians, although the industry had considerably declined since 1864.
Shamakhi was the capital of the Shamakhi Governorate of the Russian Empire until the devastating earthquake of 1859, when the capital of the province was transferred to Baku. The importance of the city declined sharply afterwards. According to the Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary (vol. 77, p. 460, published in 1903), Shamakhi had 20008 inhabitants (10450 males and 9558 females), of which 3% were Russians, 18% were Armenians, and 79% "Azerbaijani Tatars." With regard to religion, 79% of the population was Muslim, of which 22% was Sunni and the rest Shiite; the remaining 21% was "Armeno-Gregorian" (members of the Armenian Apostolic Church) and "Pravoslav" (Orthodox).
This city also has had a successful education system, literature and poets such as Mirza Alakbar Sabir and Seyid Azim Shirvani. Also students of Samaxi earn high points in the exams of Azerbaijan. Hence, students Samaxi take part in international science Olympiads. In 2006 Rafail Comerdov participated in the International biology Olympiad in Argentina and won the silver medal. Earthquakes
- The 1191 earthquake was so destructive that the capital of Shirvan was transferred to Baku.
- The 1667 earthquake is considered to have been the worst with a death toll of 80,000; one-third of the city collapsed, according to the Persian merchants'' reports.
- The 1859 Shamakhi earthquake on December 2 caused the shifting of the same-named government center to Baku.
- The 1872 earthquake triggered emigration to Baku, where oil production had started in industrial proportions.
- In 1902, a devastating earthquake destroyed the 10th-century Juma Mosque.
The "Queen of Shemakha" is a major protagonist in the poem "The Tale of the Golden Cockerel" by Alexander Pushkin, on which the opera "The Golden Cockerel" by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov was based. The character, however, is totally fictional and bears no actual relation to the city. Twin cities Notable natives
- Abbas Mirza Sharifzadeh — actor, film director and film editor.
- Abbas Sahhat — poet and dramatist
- Aghasadyg Garaybeyli — actor, People''s Artist of Azerbaijani SSR (1940)
- Alexander Shirvanzade (Movsisyan) - novelist, playwright
- Alexsey Chernyayevsky — an outstanding Russian and Azeri teacher
- Aliheydar Garayev — People''s Commissar for Military and Naval Affairs of Azerbaijan SSR (1920)
- Alim Qasimov — Azerbaijani musician and one of the foremost Mugham singers in Azerbaijan.
- Armen Ohanian - dancer, writer, actress, political activist
- Aslan Khalilov - historian, author of book called "Геноцид против мусульманского населения Закавказья в исторических источниках", member of National Television and Radio Council of Azerbaijan.
- Hovhannes Abelian - actor, People''s Artist of Armenian SSR (1932), People''s Artist of Azerbaijani SSR (1932)
- Khagani Shirvani — poet
- Kostan Zarian - writer
- Leonti Gurtyev — Hero of the Soviet Union
- Mirza Alakbar Sabir — poet
- Mahmud Aliyev — politician and diplomat.
- Mahammad Hadi — poet
- Seyid Azim Shirvani — poet
- Zivar bey Ahmadbeyov — the first Azerbaijani architect with higher education
- Sultan Majid Afandiyev — People''s Commissar of Agriculture of the Azerbaijan SSR (1921–1924)
- Sultan Majid Ganizade — writer and translator
- Zeynalabdin Shirvani — geographer and traveler, historian, anthropologist, educator and poet.
- Ziba Ganiyeva — radio operator, sniper, scout.